A blog for young adult book lovers

Pop Tart by Kira Coplin and Julianne Kaye

book cover of 
Pop Tart 
by
Kira Coplin and Julianne Kaye
Read a synopsis here!
How much it cost me: Free! Got it from PaperBackSwap!
Retail Price: $14.99
Number of pages: 383
Let's start off by saying that the overall idea for this book was excellent! I love reading books about Hollywood and stars and I also like makeup so reading about a girl who is hired as a stars' makeup artist was the perfect combo for me! However, the book lacked a few things...
There was a lot of punctuation that should have or could have been fixed; little commas here and there and some sentences just didn't flow right. Some words also could have been moved around a little. It was a TON of stuff that should have been fixed but it was enough to distract me at times and make me re-read some sentences. It's my belief that a writer should never have to have their reader think about the text, other than in the context of the story. When the reader starts thinking about grammar and such...uh oh!
Moving on to characters; I liked the main character, Jackie but at times she infuriated me. Why didn't she stick up for herself or beliefs more!? And the one time she did it was sort of a let down because another character walked right over her again. Everyone from her boss to her parents played a part in making her feel inferior. I also didn't like the fact that at the end of the book, one of the people she hated with a true passion throughout the first 300 pages, she suddenly was best friends with them by the end!! Just seems sort of weird to me.
Setting was nothing to write home about, classic Los Angeles/Hollywood. If you know the Los Angeles are pretty well that you can imagine in your head exactly where they are and what they're experiencing. If you don't know L.A. (like me!) then I'm sure you can imagine what it's like.
Overall, I would give this a tentative Paige-Turn if you are willing to overlook the fact that there are some characters that are a bit annoying and some annoying grammar as well, but if you like books like Secrets of My Hollywood Life by Jen Calonita, then I'm sure you'll like this one as well! If you don't? Then I would not recommend this! Hope you enjoyed!
-Paige

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright: The Paige-Turner. Powered by Blogger.

© The Paige Turner, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena