A blog for young adult book lovers

Cinders and Sapphires (At Somerton #1) by Leila Rasheed

Synopsis from Goodreads.comRose Cliffe has never met a young lady like her new mistress. Clever, rich, and beautiful, Ada Averley treats Rose as an equal. And Rose could use a friend. Especially now that she, at barely sixteen, has risen to the position of ladies’ maid. Rose knows she should be grateful to have a place at a house like Somerton. Still, she can’t help but wonder what her life might have been had she been born a lady, like Ada.

For the first time in a decade, the Averleys have returned to Somerton, their majestic ancestral estate. But terrible scandal has followed Ada’s beloved father all the way from India. Now Ada finds herself torn between her own happiness and her family’s honor. Only she has the power to restore the Averley name—but it would mean giving up her one true love . . . someone she could never persuade her father to accept.

Sumptuous and enticing, the first novel in the At Somerton series introduces two worlds, utterly different yet entangled, where ruthless ambition, forbidden attraction, and unspoken dreams are hidden behind dutiful smiles and glittering jewels. All those secrets are waiting . . . at Somerton.




Number of pages: 389
My review: Want to hear the shortest review ever of this book? If you love Downton Abbey you will love this book.
BAM! Done! But seriously, if you like Downton Abbey then this is the perfect book for you. Cinders and Sapphires has just as much drama as Downton along with the switching viewpoints of the upstairs house guests and the downstairs staff (which can I just say I love that concept so much).
There is a huge variety of people to keep track of, and I have to admit that at first I was a little confused, but after a short while you really start to figure out who's who, and start to enjoy the novel for all that it is worth  The two main characters that you really follow though, are Lady Ava (upstairs) and her personal maid, Rose (downstairs). Both characters get into all sorts of shennanigans and mishaps and it truly feels like you're going on a fast paced adventure while you're reading this. 
I loved almost all the characters and felt for them when they got into trouble or some sort of scrape. However, I felt the so-called "villains" or protagonists could have been meaner or somewhat more spiteful. I just felt a little...sympathetic towards them I guess. Their passion for their evil deeds could have run a little deeper, and I felt that if/when the next book comes out they could be persuaded easily to become a better person again. I guess we'll have to wait and see though!
Also, I really hate the cover of the U.S. version. It doesn't seem accurate somehow for they type of things girls in that time would wear (especially the way their hair is styled). And it just looks so incredibely fake and posed.
I completely recommend this to anyone who loves historical fiction, romance, adventure, and of course, Downton Abbey. This book definitely made me go through Downton Abbey withdrawls (in the U.S. we have to wait a whole more year before we see our beloved characters again!) Definitely check this out, it's super easy reading and if there is a next book coming out (I could see how there might be since the ending could definitely lead the way to another novel) I will definitely be picking it up!
See you soon!
P.S. This picture pretty much sums up the whole book nicely (for the rest of that review click here!)

1 comments:

  1. Yay! Good review. I've been holding off on reading this one, but you've convinced me to move it up on my TBR list. Love me some Downton. ;)

    ~Sabrina@iheart y.a.fiction

    ReplyDelete

Copyright: The Paige-Turner. Powered by Blogger.

© The Paige Turner, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena