A blog for young adult book lovers

The Selection by Kiera Cass

The Selection (The Selection, #1)Synopsis from Goodreads: For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.


Number of pages: 327
My review: PLEASE NOTE: This review was written disregarding the online drama surrounding it. Let's look at the story itself people.
What better way to celebrate Fourth of July than with a character named America!
Okay, I finished this book in two days because I just loved it so darn much! It was so sweet and girly and I just loved the descriptions of all the dress and the palace (I'm a huge sucker for prince/princess stories).
I will have to say I'm surprised about a few things though. First of all, I was surprised that there wasn't more emphasis on the whole tv show part of the Selection. Which, also surprisingly, I sort of liked! It wasn't as superficial that way. It focused more on what America was going through and her feelings surrounding not only the Selection, but the current state of her country, and much more.
I was also surprised by how much America grew on me. And Maxon as well. Starting out I was like okay here's another YA character that thinks she's sooo ugly and has no talent, but then as the story progressed, America herself became a better person. She fights for her caste, and the one's below her too. She's not prejudiced, knows right from wrong, and has a killer voice (or so I've been told haha!). Maxon I thought would be more stuck up and shallow (just like America thought) but really he's just a confused boy who's trying to choose a wife in this sick twisted game. He's never been in love and never ventured outside his palace so he's confused and intrigued by everything happening in his country.
I loved how Maxon and America teamed up and became friends. There was no beating around the bush. Right from the get-go America told Maxon that she didn't even want to be there to win. She was simply fighting for her family and running away from another dude. Speaking of which, I hate Aspen. He comes off as slimy to me. Gross. Team Maxon all the way.
At times the book seemed a wee bit repetitive (the attacks on the palace) but I loved the book overall. Definitely five out of five stars. And I absolutely can NOT wait to read The Elite! I want to see who stays and who goes! I want to see who wins and what America gets herself into next. She is so hilarious I was laughing out loud when I was reading this at work during one of my breaks and I was starting to get strange looks from people so I had to tone it down a few times.
Anyways, I loved it, and I can't wait to buy it for myself eventually! Also, the cover? Gorgeous! Even though if you stare at it long enough it sort of looks like she's sniffing her armpit...? Anyone else? No, just me okay.
See you soon,

2 comments:

  1. I started it but couldn't finish it :-(
    America was too predictable and goody for my taste. I got bored with her "everybody is so beautiful, why am I here?" and "oh! xxx is really beautiful, she should definitely win..."

    Anyway, they are making the book into a tv series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright: The Paige-Turner. Powered by Blogger.

© The Paige Turner, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena