A blog for young adult book lovers

The Luxe by Anna Godbersen

book cover of 

The Luxe 

 (Luxe, book 1)

by

Anna Godbersen
Read a synopsis here!
Number of pages: 433
I think I tried reading this book once a couple years back and for some reason I could never get into it. So, I decided to try picking it up for a second time and I'm so glad I did! I don't know why I didn't like this book the first time because it was such a fantastic read this time around!
I flew through this book and was constantly picking it back up again because it was so good! There was always so much suspense and I wanted to know what would happen next. Every time I thought something would be resolved, a new problem or situation occurred that added more complexity to the plot and added even more depth to the characters.
This had equal parts suspense and romance set in New York in 1899. Elizabeth Holland is doomed to marry a man she does not love but she is forced to do it for circumstances beyond her control. She feels deeply conflicted, not only because her best friend Penelope is in love with the man she is going to marry, but because Elizabeth loves another man, whom she cannot marry due to societies regulations. 
This book has a massive love triangle er...more like a pentagon. Be ready to be kept on your toes for who loves who, who hates who, and who is bound by which circumstances. This is a book that you really have to concentrate on, but it won't seem like a chore because the plot is so intense and captivating that you'll remember all the characters special foes and woes from the very beginning.
The one thing I didn't like about this book was the language. No, there wasn't any cursing, but this book is set in 1899 and the vernacular was a little too...loose too be believable. The narration sort of made up for it however, by throwing around words like "abhorrent" here and there but the characters never would have talked like that in 1899.
I guess I can see why the writer, wrote it that way however, because it is so much easier to understand and young adults would not have to struggle with the reading. This leads to a lower reading level, but a much faster read too.
I loved this book and I cannot wait to read the second one (which I just picked up at my brand new library today!!!) Hopefully the second book will be as jam packed with suspense, love, and adventure as this first one was!
(And I absolutely LOVE the cover! Usually YA books have girls in pretty dresses on the covers for no reason but this one actually makes sense! It's so beautiful and elegant!)
See you soon!
Paige

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright: The Paige-Turner. Powered by Blogger.

© The Paige Turner, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena